Frequently Asked Questions | FAQS
What are some general tips for packing?
Here are some general rules for packing:
• Pack heavy articles in smaller boxes and bulky, light articles in larger boxes.
• Secure each box well with tape. This not only prevents the box from opening, but also gives it additional strength.
• Make sure each box is filled up to, and not beyond the top. Stuff any extra space with paper to prevent the box being crushed and also to cushion the article. Packing above the edge of the box will make it uneven and difficult to stack in the truck.
• Label each box clearly with the contents and instructions for fragile or other special articles.
• Wrap all fragile articles individually in paper. Cushion the box carrying these articles well.
• Nest or stack expensive glassware and chinaware with a sheet of paper in between each piece.
• If possible, pack all large electronic equipment in their original packaging.
• Articles like blankets and pillows may be stored in furniture drawers or used for padding other boxes.
• While packing many articles in one box, pack heavier ones at the bottom and lighter ones at the top.
How do I plan my move?
• Plan your move well in advance to make it as stress-free as possible.
• Ideally you should look at getting estimates at least 6 weeks before the move.
• If you are doing some or all of the packing, start 2-4 weeks before moving day. Keep all supplies like boxes, tapes, bubble wrap, etc in ready supply. Start your packing with things you need the least.
• Organize a garage sale to get rid of things you don’t need. Remember that you have to dispose of as much clutter as possible. Therefore make sure you really need something before deciding to keep it.
• Make a list of everyone who needs to be notified of the move -- relatives, friends, business associates, colleagues, creditors, schools, doctors, dentists, veterinarians, newspapers, etc.
• Arrange for your mail to be forwarded to your new address at the post office.
• If you are not going to move into your new place right away, arrange for storage of your belongings.
• Use up all perishable food before you leave.
• Make sure you pack all articles for immediate use in your new home separately and either take it along with you or have it loaded last in the moving truck.
• Do not cancel your utilities and phone line until the day AFTER you have moved out. You will require them for the packers. At the same time, make sure these are up and running in your new home on the day you arrive at your new place.